Sunday, July 18, 2010

Progress on Bruizer!

I spent a couple of hours working on Bruizer today...and probably an equal amount of time finding replacement bolts.

All of the bolts on the bike are a rusted mess, so I gathered them all up and went to Lowes and ACE Hardware to find replacements. It was difficult to find exact replacements in terms of length, but I found bolts that were close enough--I’ll make them work.

I also spent some time cleaning rust off the lower chrome piece of the chain guard, then I assembled the parts I’ve cleaned up and the new fenders. I was going to use the fenders that came with the bike, but the rust had eaten through the metal on the back fender, and the front fender had a dent in it.  Since I’m not rebuilding an all-original bike, it was easier and cheaper to simply buy new fenders. The new fenders did require a little “fitting” to make them work--nothing that a drill and a tap couldn’t fix--but it wasn’t a simple bolt on replacement.  Here's where I am right now...


I could send the painted parts off to the powder coater tomorrow, but I want to wait until everything is installed in case I have to do any additional modifications. Basically, I don’t want to have to drill or grind on anything after the bike has come back from the powder coater...tis better to know now if there are going to be any unexpected "issues."

That’s it for now...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment