Sunday, August 29, 2010

More progress...

I stayed up entirely too late last night with some poster board, an X-acto knife, cutting map and tape.  I constructed a fuel tank as the go-by for my project.  I'm not sure if I love it or not...clearly as a cardboard tank it's not very attractive, but with the right paint scheme I think it might have potential...





I also realized I have some tires I can install on the bike while I wait for my Quick Brick tires to arrive...so if I get to piddling on the bike today, I will install the tires to get me by until the new ones come in.

I also realized I need to pick up some more parts:
  • pedals
  • Brooks leather saddle
  • Brooks leather grips
  • chain
I'm sure there's more...

I would like to fabricate some "rockers"...something like these (circled in blue):

Click to enlarge the picture (actually, you can click to enlarge any picture)

And I also need to design some sort of oil tank...
I've not seen many examples of board track racer replicas in general, and the ones I have seen have a fundamental problem in my opinion--the frames don't dip down for the oil tanks (like the originals), and even if they do, many times the engines look too small in the frame, and there's simply too much open area...






All those bikes look great!  But I really want to fill the frame as much as possible.  The guy who built the example bike I like so much accomplished this by using a couple of pulleys to make the engine look bigger...

You can see the black pulley below the engine in this picture.


It appears he tack welded the pulley to the frame.  I probably won't do that; I'll mechanically secure it to the frame some how.

On this side you can see how he used a smaller pulley and incorporated a chain and sprocket into the design.  I really like the way he did this!


Here's the other side...


So while I like the pulley idea, I want to use something else--something more industrial or mechanical looking.  I'm not sure what yet...but something.  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment