Thursday, October 8, 2009

Now That's HIP!

Several friends have come through by donating old parts to the cause!  Tim gave me a bunch o' goodies... I mean a bunch!  Dr. Josh gave me an old mountain bike, and I had some various bits.

This is going to be a short post because I am tired... so I will post the photo along with captions.  More later...

This is where I started.  Tim gave me this old frame last night...



These are some of the parts Tim gave me and some of the old stuff I had...



These are the headsets from the new bike and the red and yellow bike...



Getting there!



I bought two wheels and tires.  You'll also notice I have the yellow fork from the other bike the build.  The problem with the Romic fork was that it didn't fit with the wheels and tires.  The tire was too tall and rubbed... to the point that the wheel wouldn't turn.  Of course the yellow fork was too tall, but I was able to cut it down and make it work.

I used the handlebars from Dr. Josh's old mountain bike, and I chopped about three inches or so from each end...



I didn't have a seat post that would fit... and the only one I could find was black.  Since I wanted to ride the bike immediately, I went ahead and spent the $20 on it.  I'll swap it for an "aluminum finish" later.



Fixed single speed!



This is a brake handle from Dr. Josh's old mountain bike.  I used the brake part that Tim gave me...



A better look at my chopped handlebars...



I also had to buy a chain, but that's about it.  The pedals are from an old "spinning" bike.  Note I shortened the brake cable too...



Now I need to decide on a color.  I'm thinking all red!  We'll see.  I'll ride it as it is for a while...

Stay tuned... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment