Sunday, September 5, 2010

It takes a lot longer to build a tank than I thought...

Mission accomplished, but it took a lot longer than I expected...

I started out by placing all of my templates onto the sheet metal and tracing them out...


Then with my cut-off wheel, I went to work...


Next I needed to mark out everything.  I wanted to mount the tank to minimize external hardware, so I decided to weld some coupler nuts inside the tank so I could screw the tank to the frame in a more professional manner.  Here's the layout of the six of them...


Then I screwed them to the sheet metal in preparation for welding...


Next I needed a gas cap.  Since the tank that come in the kit had one, I decided to use it.  Before...


After... :-)


Here's a few other views...





Here's what the coupler nuts look like welded onto the inside of the tank...


And here's yours truly welding and grinding the new tank...




So here's the tank on the bike...  



It took a long time to build the tank, and when I was done... I was done!  Clearly the tank needs more grinding and sanding, but it's all welded up.  I'll pressure test it at some point in the next few days.  

Aside from that, I still have a ton to do.  I don't really like the way the seat is mounted to the bike; I'm going to do something different.  I still need to clean up some wiring.  I want to use copper line instead of rubber hose for the fuel line, so I got to figure that out.  I also need to fabricate an "oil pump" and incorporate it into the design...and on and on...but I'm getting there...slowly...

I don't think I'll be working on it tomorrow, but I'll piddle a bit during the week...

That's all for now...

1 comment:

  1. Loving your work here!!! I was looking for how to remove a Sturmy Archer back wheel but this looks much more interesting...

    ReplyDelete