Monday, September 6, 2010

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I didn't plan on working a whole lot on the project today, but it was raining, so I piddled in the garage...

The first thing I did was to mount the tank to the frame.  Here's the hardware I used...I lined the inside with rubber and used rubber washers on the tank...


I've got four brackets on the tank...this is what it looks like mounted on the bike...


Remember me saying I didn't like the way the seat looked on the bike...well I fixed it!  I like this a lot better...


I'm going to fabricate some brackets to go from the seat stays to the bottom of the seat.  It will look a lot like an Indian from the era, but I don't have the metal to make it right now...it can wait.  But doesn't that look a lot nicer than before?

I guess you can see all the wiring and extra-long clutch cable flopping about in the picture right before the seat...so I went ahead and cleaned up all of that...


Muchas better!

After I checked to ensure all of the bolts were tight and double checked everything else, I put some fuel in the bike to see if it would start.  The first thing I noticed was that I had a pinhole leak in the tank.  I guess my welding isn't as good as I thought, but it wasn't too bad...I'll fix it later.  So after dealing with that...I started up the bike and went for my very first ride on it!  Omar was outside with his wife and kiddo...I gave him the camera to film the inaugural ride!


I was so fast I was a blur as I buzzed the tower!


And here's the bike after the ride!


I guess the pinhole leak in the tank was a little worse than I though...no problem...I'll fix it.

My first ride was awesome!  I'm still grinning.

There's still a lot left to do.  I did fix the seat, but I have to make some brackets for the rear of the seat.  There's also a lot of little details, but the big thing is to fabricate an "oil pump" and finish my gas tank... and all the other yada yada I've mentioned before.

I'm pretty jazzed about the bike starting so easily and running so well.  Super fun!

More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment