Saturday, September 4, 2010

A place to sit!

I got a little done today, but a lot of time was spent going here and there getting parts and whatnot...plus, I only wanted to spend part of the day on the project...the other part of the day is family time!

And by the way...I was able to get the right grip installed so that it controls the throttle.  That was challenging...I though it would take about 20 minutes...an hour and a half later...UGH!

Anyway... today Sergio and I went to Triple S Steel and purchased some metal.  I got some 18 gauge steel for building my fuel tank (it came in a 4' X 10" sheet, so I reckon I can screw up several times), and

Doesn't really look like a gas tank does it?  :-)
And, sorry about the picture quality...all we had was a cellphone camera...I forgot the digital camera...
Sergio got some tubing for his very own board track racer project.  After loading the steel, we went to Cox Hardware and Lumber (only the greatest hardware store on the planet!) and purchased various bits and pieces for our projects.  And we finally ended up at our friend Lance's shop--a warehouse where Lance lets Sergio keep some of his tools...and Lance is also kind enough to let his friends use the shop for random projects.  Thanks Lance!  By the time all the running around was done, it was lunch time, but I at least wanted to get the seat on the bike before calling it a day...

I got a couple of seat posts to accomplish the task...

And after some measuring and figuring, I proceeded to cut them into pieces :-)


I had to do some grinding here and there to get the angle just right.  This (picture below) wasn't the final angle, but you can see where I was heading...


Once I got it right, Sergio stepped away from his bike and welded the two pieces together for me...


Here's the raw product product...


Clearly the weld needs to be grinded and cleaned up...
...and the seatpost itself will be chromed by another buddy who owns a coating business...
...and I will also lower the nose of the seat a bit...
...and I'm also going to fab some brackets to attach to the back of the seat...
...and that seatpost clamp is not the one I'm using...I just forgot the bolt, so I used that quick release to get by...
...so over look all that for now...
:-)

Here I am testing riding (pedaling) the bike with the seat installed...


Sergio even used my cell phone camera to record the first ride...


So here's where the bike is right now...


Tomorrow I've got big plans and should be able to get a lot done.  Hopefully I'll have the fuel tank build (of course the welds will not be cleaned up until later), and I should be able to put fuel in the bike and take it out on the first ride.  There's a lot of work between now and staring the motor.  I have to tighten cables...clean up wiring...actually fabricate the tank and install it...yada yada...but I should be able to do it all tomorrow unless something goes wrong...which typically does...

Anyway, that's all for now...
...until tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment